Curriculum & Instruction
The California Common Core Standards and Next Generation Science Standards:
In all REAL Journey Academy Schools we align our curriculum to the California Department of Education adopted Common Core Standards (CCSS) and Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS), which clearly define what students should know and be able to do in each subject at each grade. In California, our State Board of Education decides on the standards for all students from kindergarten through high school. Since 2010 states across the nation have adopted the CCSS in English and Math, and the NGSS in science. Having the same standards helps all students get a high quality education even if they change schools or move to a different state.
The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress (CAASPP) is designed to annually assess student progress in meeting college readiness standards aligned to the CCSS & NGSS.
The California adopted standards in English Language Arts/Literacy are FOUND HERE.
The California adopted standards in Math are FOUND HERE
The California adopted standards in Science are FOUND HERE.
REAL Journey Academies teachers use a variety of curricula for their daily instruction to meet the diverse need
Standard Mastery Approach:
All RJA schools follow a standard mastery approach to teaching and learning. Students who do not demonstrate mastery of a unit are required to complete a re-teaching/re-learning sequence, then again have the opportunity to demonstrate mastery. Students who do not demonstrate mastery through an individual project / assessment / assignment will be required to complete a re-do/re-take until they demonstrate standard mastery. We are a learner-focused organization and will reach students individually to ensure they reach their promise as learners.
REAL Journey Academies teachers use a variety of curricula for their daily instruction to meet the diverse needs of our communities. We pride ourselves on bringing a rigorous and relevant curriculum to our students. In June 2020, several of our teachers participated in our RJA Curriculum Institute, during which they created pacing plans and unit plans for the 2020-21 school year. Lead teacher and Department Chairs work collaboratively to evaluate the effectiveness of the developed pacing plans and unit plans.
English Language Arts
- Success for All Reading (TK-5)
- Success for All Reading Edge (6-8)
- Fountas & Pinnell Classroom (TK-3)
- Journeys California Curriculum (4-5)
- Core Literature and non-fiction Texts (6-11)
- Swun Math (TK-5)
- Illustrative Math (5-8)
- Big Ideas Math: Geometry (9-11)
- Financial Algebra (9-11)
- Glencoe Algebra 2 (11)
- Science Studies Weekly (TK-5)
- STEMscopes California (6-8)
- SAVVAS Learning: Chemistry (9-11)
- Inspire Science: Biology (9-11)
- Studies Weekly (TK-8)
- American History (10-11)
- Houghton Mifflin, World History (9)
- Asi se dice! (Spanish 9-10)
- Fashion Marketing & Merchandising (11)
- Retailing and E-tailing (11)
- Soft Skills in the Workplace (11)
- Video: Digital Communication & Production (11)
- The Culinary Professional (11)
- Video Game Design and Programming Concepts (11)
- Television Production & Broadcast Journalism (11)
REAL Journey Academies provides comprehensive academic support and intervention:
- We offer a full-range of Special Education supports onsite, and through our authorized partners.
- We offer a full-range of English Learner supports onsite
- We transparently assess student progress:
- All students in grades 2 – 11 are assessed three times a year using NWEA, a research-based assessment that measures growth and proficiency and provides insight to help tailor instruction in Mathematics, Language Arts and Science.
- All students in grades K-1 are assessed three times a year on their reading and mathematics fluency using curriculum provided benchmarks.
- Data from all assessments informs the instruction in core areas
Multi-Tiered System of Support (MTSS):
The RJA Multi-Tiered Support System (MTSS) ensures student support services are embedded as central components of our program of study while addressing any unique needs individual students (academic and/or socio-emotional learning supports) need to ensure equity of access and opportunity for success. As part of our MTSS system we have developed an “early warning” system to ensure we are quickly identifying students who need academic and socio-emotional support. For example, we are very purposeful tracking each student’s Behavior, Attendance & Grades (BAG Reports) every two weeks to ensure students in need are referred to our MTSS supports. Knowing the significant research tying success in the freshmen year to on-time high school graduation, we place additional supports in place to ensure freshmen are successful.
English Learner Programs:
- Integrated ELD TK – 11 in all classes
- Designated ELD for K – 6 during English Language Arts
- Designated ELD and ELPAC preparation for grades 6 – 8 during SFA, Reading, period 1
- Designated ELD and ELPAC preparation for grades 9-11 during English Language Arts